Love: The Word the Alphabet Could Never ContainReflections on Love and Compassion (NVC)Inspired by the Friday lecture of October 2, 2026, with Dr. Ahmed Dabea, titled “Love & Compassion | Love & NVC.”
The questions stirred in my heart before they ever reached my mind.
For a long time, my deer, Ripple 🦌, had always been present in my reflections. Now my giraffe, Heaven 🦒, has joined her—and joined me—in the open space of the Oasis of the Deer.
And there, somewhere between Ripple and Heaven, I found myself asking all over again:
What is love?
Is love a feeling, or is it a need?
Is it giving?
Safety?
Freedom?
Responsibility?
Intimacy?
Participation?
Contribution?
Meaning?
Or is it air itself?
Yet in the language of human needs, each of these already has its own distinct meaning.
So is love the sum of them all?
Or is it something else entirely?
Is love giving from the heart, and seeing the humanity of a person beyond their behavior—as we learn in NVC through observation, feeling, need, and request?
Is it connection?
Is it empathy?
Is it compassion?
Or are all of these not love itself, but simply different forms through which love reveals itself?
🦒 I sometimes feel that “love” may be the most misunderstood and overburdened word in the history of language.
The problem is not love.
The problem is the alphabet.
The word is being asked to carry a meaning far greater than letters were ever capable of containing.
Perhaps this is why the question of love has occupied me for so long.
🦌 Before NVC
Before studying Nonviolent Communication, I did not understand needs with the depth and meaning through which I later came to know them with Marshall Rosenberg.
I used to think of love primarily as a feeling—perhaps even as the father of all feelings.
And if feelings had a mother, perhaps she would be fear.
I saw love and fear almost as two ancient poles of human experience: one drawing us closer, and the other driving us away.
And yet something in that picture always felt incomplete.
🟦🟩🟥🟨 Where Is Love Among the Colors?
The question became even more intriguing when I considered it through the lens of color psychology and the Lüscher Color Test.
This approach looks at color as a doorway into emotions, needs, and psychological states.
And yet I could not find a single color about which I could simply say:
This is the color of love.
That became a profound question for me.
If love is a feeling, where is its color?
Does the absence of a color mean the absence of love?
Or is love so deeply present that it cannot be isolated?
Gradually, I began leaning toward the second possibility.
Perhaps love is not one color among the colors.
Perhaps it is the light that makes all colors possible in the first place.
And from that moment, the idea began to change.
🟢 From Love to Mahabba (a Deeper Sense of Love)
As I continued reflecting philosophically on the matter, another question emerged:
Is love the same as mahabba?
Or is there a distinction between them?
And can we truly speak of different kinds of love?
Or is love, in its essence, one reality that appears through many different forms and manifestations?
🌞 Martin Luther King Jr.
In developing his philosophy of nonviolence, Martin Luther King Jr. drew an important theological and conceptual distinction between three forms of love:
Eros, romantic love;
Philia, the mutual affection found in friendship;
and Agape, a liberating, healing, unconditional form of love that does not require us to personally like an opponent, yet is capable of extending even toward enemies.
Here, love becomes something larger than the bond between two people.
It becomes a way of standing in relation to life itself.
🌞 Sheikh Bediüzzaman Nursi
Sheikh Bediüzzaman Nursi spoke of loving love itself and opposing hostility itself within his understanding of nonviolence.
His central idea was that the thing most worthy of love is love itself, because it is the foundation of happiness and social peace.
And the thing most deserving of opposition is not the person, but hostility, enmity, and division themselves.
To reject the action without reducing the human being to the action.
To see the person behind the behavior.
To resist violence without becoming another version of the violent person.
🌞 Gandhi and Ahimsa
For Gandhi, Ahimsa means refraining from causing harm to any living being through thought, speech, or action.
It is also one of the traditions that Marshall Rosenberg openly acknowledged as an influence.
For Gandhi, Ahimsa was never merely a passive refusal to inflict physical harm.
It was an active and positive force of love extended toward all beings—including opponents and enemies.
Here, nonviolence becomes more than a method for managing conflict.
It becomes a way of seeing the human being.
🌞 Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan
In this same spirit, I find myself reflecting on the experience of Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan, known as the “Frontier Gandhi,” founder of the Khudai Khidmatgar, or Servants of God, movement, which was rooted in nonviolent resistance and social service.
In the pledge taken by members of the movement, we find something deeply moving:
“I am a servant of God, and since God is in need of no service, I promise to serve His creation sincerely and without discrimination.
I promise to refrain from violence, never to seek revenge for myself, and to forgive those who wrong or mistreat me.
I promise to stay away from feuds and hostility, to regard every human being as my brother and companion, and to devote part of my time to meaningful social service.”
And the question returns:
Is all of this not, in some way, a form of love?
Or is love the energy that makes all of these actions possible?
🌞 Then Came NVC
When I entered the world of Nonviolent Communication, my relationship with the concept of needs changed.
I began to see a need not as an emptiness that must be filled, but as an expression of life seeking to emerge.
I often return here to Marshall Rosenberg’s understanding of needs as, in essence:
the way life is trying to express itself in this moment—in me, in you, in him, in her, in them, in every living human being.
And if needs are expressions of life…
what is it that makes life alive?
This is where I arrived at my own hypothesis:
Perhaps love is not a need.
Perhaps love is the life energy that expresses itself through our needs.
🌞 Alan Rafael
NVC trainer Alan Rafael offers an image that has stayed with me:
When light passes through a prism, it refracts into the many colors of the visible spectrum.
In much the same way, when life energy flows through a human being, it refracts into the diverse universal human needs.
These are energies seeking to move and flow—not holes waiting to be filled.
Needs are not static.
They are dynamic, changing, and flowing.
This image became a key for me.
Because it takes us away from the idea of a need as a deficiency and invites us to see it instead as a movement of life.
A need is not a hole.
It is a direction.
It is not an emptiness crying out to be filled.
It is life seeking a way to flow.
When life energy moves through us, it may appear as needs such as safety, freedom, intimacy, meaning, belonging, contribution, choice, rest, clarity, play, or self-expression.
And so I found myself asking:
Could love be the life energy from which all the rivers of human need emerge?
🦌🦒 Love Is Not a Need… Perhaps It Is the Father of All Needs
🔵 From here, I began to see love differently.
If safety is a need, freedom is a need, belonging is a need, meaning is a need, contribution is a need…
then perhaps love does not belong beside them as simply another item on the list.
Perhaps love is the life energy that takes all of these forms.
Just as we do not place light beside the colors of the spectrum and call it one more color.
The colors emerge from the light.
And in this sense, I began to think of love as the father of needs—not because it is a larger or more important need, but because it is the energy that reveals itself through them.
This may also explain why love resists definition.
Perhaps saying,
“Love is love”
is not an escape from definition at all.
Perhaps it is the most honest recognition of the limits of language.
Just as we cannot contain life inside a definition without losing something of it, perhaps we cannot place love inside a sentence without reducing its meaning.
Love is not safety alone.
Nor freedom alone.
Nor giving.
Nor intimacy.
And yet it can reveal itself through all of them.
⚪ Love and the Color White
This is why, in my own reflections, I have come to see love as something like the color white.
White is not simply one color among others.
It carries within itself an entire spectrum.
And yet it does not appear within the spectrum in the same way that the individual colors do.
This is how I imagine love.
Not absent from our emotions, but perhaps present in such a way that it cannot be reduced to one feeling.
Love does not need a color in order to exist.
And it does not need a definition in order to be real.
💦 Love in Things
Sometimes I think of love as water.
Pure water has no color, no taste, no scent.
And yet life cannot exist without it.
Water takes the shape of whatever contains it without losing its essence.
It flows.
Its form changes.
It becomes liquid, vapor, or ice—and still, in essence, it remains water.
Perhaps love is the same.
Its form may change.
It may appear as giving, protection, freedom, silence, presence, empathy, forgiveness, or service.
And yet something essential remains unchanged.
Its form changes.
Its truth does not.
And just as life cannot exist without water, perhaps human life cannot truly exist without love.
🟣 Love in the Names of God?
And here I arrive at a more spiritual space.
If the Names and Attributes of God reflect many aspects of divine perfection, where does love belong among them?
Perhaps it is not simply another name standing beside the others.
Perhaps it is the meaning through which they are all connected.
I contemplate love here as the whole within which these meanings reveal themselves.
And so I offer this only as a reflection, not as a theological definition:
Perhaps love is that which names themselves cannot fully contain, because the names derive their meaning from the Reality toward which they point.
♥️ Love: From Need to Life
And so, with my deer Ripple 🦌 and my giraffe Heaven 🦒, I arrived at a way of seeing love that I am still exploring, testing, and learning from.
Its outline, for me, is this:
Love is not merely one human need among many.
I see it as the pure energy of life expressing itself through needs.
Needs are the many ways in which life says:
I want to connect.
I want to be free.
I want to belong.
I want to contribute.
I want to understand and be understood.
I want to feel safe.
I want to live meaningfully.
I want to feel joy.
I want to love and to be loved.
From this perspective, needs are no longer a list of deficiencies.
They become a map of life searching for pathways through which it can flow.
And perhaps this is where love meets NVC.
We are not simply learning how to speak in a less violent way.
We are learning how to listen for the life behind behavior.
To hear the need beneath anger.
To see the human being behind the action.
To search for life behind conflict.
And perhaps, at the deepest level, to search for love beneath it all.
💕 Gratitude
Thank you to everyone who opened a door for me.
I am grateful for the spirit of Dr. Marshall Rosenberg, who opened a doorway into this world.
I am grateful to Dr. Ahmed Dabea, who turned that doorway into an entrance to a wider space of understanding and contemplation, and who opened the door to NVC in the Arab world.
I am grateful to NVC trainer Alan Rafael, whose words about needs inspired this new image of life flowing through them.
I am grateful to trainer Ilka Hagerty, who continues to meet my needs for development, understanding, and growth along my NVC journey.
I am grateful to Dr. Radwa Eid, my trainer in the lived practice of NVC, who met my needs for acceptance and understanding.
I am grateful to my fellow participant Reem Rami, who shared these reflections on love with me until this text took its present form, and to all my fellow travelers on this journey.
And I am grateful to my deer Ripple 🦌, to my giraffe Heaven 🦒, and to every question that has not yet found its final answer.
Perhaps not every question comes asking for an answer.
Some questions come to open a window within us.
Others come to redefine the path itself.
As for this question—
What is love?
Perhaps I will live with it for a very long time.
And every time I think I am approaching a definition, I discover that I have only arrived at a new experience of it.
So, in the end, all I can truly say is:
Love is love.
It is the no-thing from which everything emerged.
It is the zero around which the circles of existence expand.
It is the water without which we cannot live.
It is the light that refracts into the colors of our human needs.
And perhaps—
it is life itself,
flowing freely,
without ever forgetting
that it is life.
Dr. Atef Etman
ليست هناك تعليقات: